Monday 29 March 2010

Anniversary

The 13 March was the anniversary of D-Day (Diagnosis Day). As it approached I found it hard to believe that so much had happened in a year, and that I am now getting on with life as normal despite everything. My surgeon, Mr P, arranged for a mammogram a week before the D-Day anniversary and I saw him a week later for the results. Everything was absolutely fine and he doesn’t want to see me again for 12 months! – How brilliant is that?

So the hair continues to grow, the golf is getting a bit better, and I have spent a lot of money on wedding stuff.

The visit to Rigby and Peller resulted in a sexy black basque that requires the help of at least one other person to get done up. Then it was off to the dressmaker, Ling, for the ‘calico’ fitting. Much pinning and pricked fingers as I kept forgetting where the pins were. It was a bit hard to visualise the final product from the white calico version but Ling seemed happy with the result.

LK Bennett proved to be the place for shoes and handbag (I love that shop) – I left with a red hot, smoking credit card and went straight to a wonderful place in Guildford called The Mad Hatter. This is a tiny shop down a side street full of the most fantastic hats you have ever seen. I could have spent all day in there just trying them on.

When I explained what I wanted and showed her a picture of the outfit, the owner categorically stated “You can’t wear a big hat with that outfit. You will hide the neckline and collar.” She produced a small dinner plate sized piece of nonsense that tips fetchingly over one eye, has feathers and sparkly net. Not a fascinator and not a hat – something in between. It looked fantastic but was in the wrong colour. No problem – the Mad Hatter can make it in the right colour using the same fabric as the outfit for the trim. Done deal.

The first proper fitting for the outfit took place on 19 March. Even in its unfinished state it is clear it is going to be fantastic. I only wish I was 20 years younger to really do it justice. The great thing is that it is very slimming.

Final fitting on 9 April!

The only think that has seriously p***** me off recently is the fact that we got bounced out of the Royal Berkshire mixed open – it is so oversubscribed that our handicaps are now too high to get into the ballot. This was the competition we played last year when I had just started Chemo. I was determined to play it even tho’ I felt awful and had set my heart on playing it this year when I was well. – B*******s!

Everything has gone suspiciously quiet on the Hen Night front. It’s a bit worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment